Tuesday, 11 September 2018

Massive boom hopes to corral Pacific Ocean's plastic trash

quote [ SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Engineers are deploying a trash collection device to corral plastic litter floating between California and Hawaii in an attempt to clean up the world's largest garbage patch in the heart of the Pacific Ocean.

The 2,000-foot (600-meter) long floating boom is being towed from San Francisco to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch — an island of trash twice the size of Texas. ]

Very challenging project due to the extremely low density of material, not to mention the small particulate size. I would like to see the Asian countries that are now contributing more than 80 percent of new plastic from their rivers, step up and start doing upstream cleanups as well.

Nevertheless, it's a start, and I look forward to the results of this attempt.
[SFW] [environment & nature] [+5 Interesting]
[by knumbknutz@2:47pmGMT]

Comments

ComposerNate said[4] @ 3:07pm GMT on 11th Sep [Score:4 Interesting]
The Great Pacific Garbage Patch Is Mostly Made of Fishing Gear

Fishing nets alone make up 46 percent of the 79,000 tons of garbage. The remaining 54 percent is largely made up of eel traps, oyster spacers, crates, baskets, and ropes... mostly broken apart into microplastics.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/a19574763/garbage-patch-fishing/
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/03/great-pacific-garbage-patch-plastics-environment/
HoZay said @ 6:22pm GMT on 11th Sep
Possible downside: Peter Thiel ruins the ocean.
JWWargo said @ 9:07pm GMT on 11th Sep
If something goes wrong, he'll just freeze it and deny access to the funds.

Post a comment
[note: if you are replying to a specific comment, then click the reply link on that comment instead]

You must be logged in to comment on posts.



Posts of Import
4 More Years!
SE v2 Closed BETA
First Post
Subscriptions and Things
AskSE: What do you look like?

Karma Rankings
ScoobySnacks
arrowhen
HoZay
lilmookieesquire
XregnaR